Tuesday, October 22, 2013

DIY Fabric Covered Cork Board

My husband and I completely finished our basement at the beginning of the year and it is fabulous! One thing we were really excited about is finally having an awesome space where we can both be creative, work, have fun and play the occasional computer game. 

We currently share an office and if you can believe it, we haven't hurt each other yet! Actually sharing your office space with your husband isn't as bad as I thought it would be and it has really allowed us to spend more time together. My side is prettier though :)

Which brings me to my DIY fabric coloured cork board. I really wanted a place to hang up some of my sons art, some important items and a few other things. I also wanted something that looked appealing and that I could dress up a bit if I wanted to - and I did. 

This is what I came up with.


It's actually pretty easy to do and you don't really need a lot of supplies.

For this project, you will need:
  • Cork Board. Mine is fairly big at 23"H x 35"W.
  • Fabric, about 3 inches larger than the size of your cork board.
  • Stapler
  • Embellishments
  • Hot Glue Gun (optional)
You can finish this project with just a few easy steps.
  1. Lay out your fabric right side down and position your cork board on top so that the extra fabric is equal all around, with the cork side down.
  2. Fold the fabric over to the back on the cork board and staple down as you fold the fabric over. Use as many staples as you need to use to get the fabric to stay in place. If you need a little extra staying power, use the hot glue gun with the staples; just be sure everything is done on the back of the cork board so the front stays nice and clean.
  3. Once your finish stapling, gently turn the board over and add your embellishments.
  4. Hang your cork board and enjoy! 

These embellishments are from Michaels.

Thanks to my husband for hanging it up for me.

Doesn't that artwork look great?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment